Saturday, January 7, 2017

Happy New Year (and all that stuff)

Happy New Year!

I'm finally back.

....and I'm better. 


Or at least I intend to be for 2017. I mean, don't we all? Within each of us is a minute smidgen of hope that just maybe we'll manage to get ourselves together in the new year. There is something refreshing about entering a new year, as if all of our transgressions magically dissipate once the clock hits twelve. 

I toss around ideas of new year's resolutions in my mind but ultimately I know that nothing will get better. And that is not a pessimistic opinion; that's a fact. Because I know myself. I've been knowing myself for a little over two decades now so if anyone is an expert on me, it's me. 

I realize what my strengths are, acknowledge my weaknesses, and understand how my mind functions under pressure. I realize how easily tempted I am to be suckered into mediocrity once I'm comfortable. I'm already aware of how I react when I tend to let myself down. And I know exactly what to do to uplift my spirits all over again. 

The beginning of a new year has nothing to do with any of it. If I'm truly committed to change any area of my life, I will make it happen any time of the year. 

One mistake that I refuse to make is convincing myself that I cannot do something because it's too late. That I need a new year to have a fresh start. That I just can't commit to it out of nowhere. That I have no control of the path my life is heading in. That is pessimism. 

There are a number of things that I would like to devote more time to in 2017 but most importantly, I plan to be realistic. I'm only a mortal being; I cannot accomplish it all and I accept that. However, that will hinder me from at least trying. 

What are some things you'd like to accomplish in 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment